top of page
  • VB

Business Records

Records are all of your accounting and other financial information documents. These documents must be kept organized.

The type of information your records contain depend on your situation and other factors such as:

  • your business type

  • the format you use to keep your records (paper, electronic or a combination of the two)

  • if you have converted any paper records or supporting documents into an electronic version

  • if you are involved in e-commerce

  • if you are a GST registrant

  • if you are an employer

You are required by law to keep records of all your transactions to be able to support your income and expense claims.

Keep your duplicate deposit slips, bank statements and cancelled cheques.

Keep separate records for each business you run.

If you keep computerized records, make sure they are clear and easy to read.

Your income records must include the date, amount, and source of the income.

Record the income whether you received cash, property, or services. Support all income entries with original documents.

Original documents include:

  • sales invoices

  • cash register tapes

  • receipts

  • bank deposit slips

  • fee statements

  • contracts

Always get receipts when you buy something for your business.

The receipts have to show the following:

  • the date of the purchase

  • the name and address of the seller or supplier

  • the name and address of the buyer

  • the full description of the goods or services

  • the vendor's business number if they are a GST/HST registrant

Make sure the seller or supplier describes the goods or services on the receipt.

With a cash register tape, you should write a description of the goods or services on the receipt or other voucher, or in your expense journal.

It is also possible that a seller or supplier may not provide you with a receipt. In such a case, write the name and address of the seller or supplier, the amount paid for the goods or services, the date you made the payment and the details of the transaction in your expense journal.

5 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

Personal income tax What's new for 2022

COVID-19 benefits and your taxes Amounts received related to COVID-19 If you received federal, provincial, or territorial government COVID-19 benefit payments, such as the Canada Recovery Benefit (CRB

Motor Vehicle Records

Claiming Motor Vehicle Expenses The best evidence to support the use of a vehicle is an accurate logbook of business travel maintained for the entire year, showing for each business trip, the destinat

Long-Haul Truck Drivers

Expenses for food and beverages consumed by a long-haul truck driver during an eligible travel period are deductible at 80%. The CRA defines an eligible travel period as a period of at least 24 contin


bottom of page